Perinatologists are obstetricians who specialize in high-risk pregnancies. (Peri = around; natal = birth.) A high-risk pregnancy might mean that the mother has—
- a medical problem such as gestational diabetes (diabetes of pregnancy) or high blood pressure
- a pregnancy complication such as a multiple birth or preterm labor
- a history of pregnancy complications.
Visit our Antenatal Testing Unit section
Bridgeport Hospital has five perinatologists who are specialists in Maternal/Fetal Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynecology:
- John C.G. Whetham, chairman of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Robert Stiller, MD, chief of Maternal/Fetal Medicine in The Birthplace;
- Steven A. Laifer, MD, chief of Obstetrics
- Gary Kleinman, MD, director of Perinatal Genetics
- Gina Dunston Boone, MD
They perform tests for expectant mothers whose obstetricians have referred them to the ATU.